Those Virginians who were not Baptists organized a Methodist group in the southeast part of Catherton precinct. The congregation raised over $1600 and hired area carpenter-farmer Svend Lindquist to construct a 28 by 40 foot building. On Augst 18, 1906, the night before it was to have been dedicated, the New Virginia Church burned to the ground. Sunday morning the congregation met at the New Virginia schoolhouse as usual and made plans to rebuild using the insurance money.
The second New Virginia Methodist Church was dedicated on April 14, 1907. This congregation held its celebration of 100 years continuous activity May 2, 1982, and still meets monthly with a carry-in dinner. Prime movers in the early church history were Ed Payne, Clarence and John Wilson, Mrs. Marker, E.J. Peterson, A.A. Cooper, Daniel and Jay Lovejoy, and Rolly Broks.
New Va school house Dist 65, Webster Co. Nebr May 28, 1887
Pursuant to previous announcement the Otto Cemetery Association met for the purpose of transacting all business that should come before them. President in chair. House was called to order. The minutes of the last meeting being read and offered, the looking into and reading of the deed for the land for the Otto Cemetery Association, a deed was settled on and accepted by the majority of the trustees and ordered to be recorded. On motion of John Wilson the cemetery was to be laid out in lots and sold to defray expenses, keep up repairs, and necessary expenses by consultation, if was agreed upon for the trustees to lay out and arrange the grounds, and June the 4th was set apart for the laying out of the cemetery in blocks.
On motion of John Wilson, Otto Skjelver was selected treasurer of the Otto Cemetery Association for one year, from the time this association was organized.
On motion of John Wilson the Cemetery Association is to meet Sept 9th.
On motion of John Marker, C ? was elected vice president of
On motion of A. A. Cooper the association adjourned.
E J Peterson
Named changed from Otto Cemetery to New Virginia Cemetery May 4, 1925
|1883-1884||Nora McCall – first teacher taught 2 mo.|
|Mattie McCall – taught 1 mo for Nora|
|1884-1885||Fr. Brooks – 6 mo||$30.00|
|“||Mary Robertson – 2 mo||$25.00|
|“||Jo Brooks – 3 mo||$27.00|
|1885-1886||Addie McFrittle 2 mo||$30.00|
|1889-1890||S F Bailif||$35.00|
|1898-1899||J. M. Scales||$40.00|
|1905-1906||E G Peterson||$40.00|
|1926-1927||Pauline Hathjen – first teacher in new school house|
Reopened in 1951
|1953-1954||Mrs. Jean Gilbert – 5 mo|
Mrs. Jolene Sanger – 4 mo
|1954-1955||Mrs. Joan DeBord||$182.50|
|1955-1956||Miss Jeanette Martin||$172.50|
|1956-1957||Mrs. Darline Pitney|
|1957-1958||Mrs. Barbah Bright|
|1958-1959||Mrs. Joy Pruner|
|1960-1961||Mrs. Ruth Bridges|
|1961-1962||Mrs. Ruth Bridges|
|1962-1963||Mrs. Bernice Shackleton|
|1963-1964||Mrs. Bernice Shackleton|
|1964-1965||Mrs. Don Burge|
|1965-1966||Mrs. Don Burge|
|1966-1967||Mrs. Don Burge|
|1967-1968||Mrs. Myrtis Alber|
|1968-1969||Mrs. Myrtis Alber|
Mrs. John Yost (last six weeks)