Archives for January 2019

First Meeting of the Otto Cemetery Association

New Va school house Dist 65, Webster Co. Nebr May 28, 1887

Pursuant to previous announcement the Otto Cemetery Association met for the purpose of transacting all business that should come before them. President in chair. House was called to order. The minutes of the last meeting being read and offered, the looking into and reading of the deed for the land for the Otto Cemetery Association, a deed was settled on and accepted by the majority of the trustees and ordered to be recorded. On motion of John Wilson the cemetery was to be laid out in lots and sold to defray expenses, keep up repairs, and necessary expenses by consultation, if was agreed upon for the trustees to lay out and arrange the grounds, and June the 4th was set apart for the laying out of the cemetery in blocks.

On motion of John Wilson, Otto Skjelver was selected treasurer of the Otto Cemetery Association for one year, from the time this association was organized.

On motion of John Wilson the Cemetery Association is to meet Sept 9th.

On motion of John Marker, C ? was elected vice president of association for one year from time the association was organized.

On motion of A. A. Cooper the association adjourned.

E J Peterson

Named changed from Otto Cemetery to New Virginia Cemetery May 4, 1925

Download (PDF, 491KB)

New Virginia School History

School was first held in a dug out in 1882-1883 or sod house. The first frame school house was built in 1884. In April of 1886 a 12 ft extension was added on. In 1899 a new 20 x 32 ft school house was built. In 1901 – repaired and painted school house. In 1904 the anti room or hall was built on and a book case was built cost 125.00 dollars. In 1907 new desks were bought for $450.00 and the old ones sold for 60 cents apiece. The storm cellar was built in 1912 and the coal house repaired. In 1916 9 mo school started.

Teachers

YearsTeacherSalary
1883-1884Nora McCall – first teacher taught 2 mo.
Mattie McCall – taught 1 mo for Nora
1884-1885Fr. Brooks – 6 mo$30.00
Mary Robertson – 2 mo$25.00
Jo Brooks – 3 mo$27.00
1885-1886Addie McFrittle 2 mo$30.00
1886-1887
1887-1888Aristole Smith$30.00
1889-1890S F Bailif$35.00
1890-1891Ella Renasberg$40.00
1891-1892SS Fisher$33.00
1893-1894Belle Spanble$40.00
1894-1985Mildred McCall$65.00
1895-1896$65.00
1896-1897Retta Able$30.00
1897-1898William Fraizer$40.00
1898-1899J. M. Scales$40.00
1899-1900Mamie Wiedman$35.00
1900-1901$37.50
1901-1902Grace Onstat$35.00
1902-1903Bruce Payne$40.00
1904-1905Della Mccallum$40.00
1905-1906E G Peterson$40.00
1906-1907Visa Dickerson$45.00
1907-1908Blance McCartney$40.00
1908-1909Bernice Marker$45.00
1909-1910May Dickerson$45.00
1910-1911$50.00
1911-1912Clare Dyer
1912-1913
1913-1914Mable Lund$60.00
1914-1915Nellie Brooks
1915-1916Francis Nolan
1916-1917Homer Fetty$65.00
1917-1918Leonard Springer$70.00
1918-1919Mildred Arnold$70.00
Helen Johnson
1919-1920Alta Coon$66.00
1920-1921Grace Keagle$90.00
1921-1922Ella Davis$100.00
1922-1923$80.00
1923-1924Pauline Pitney$80.00
1924-1925$75.00
1925-1926Alice Whitaker$70.00
1926-1927Pauline Hathjen – first teacher in new school house
1927-1928Mildred Lutz
1928-1929Gertrude Wiggins
1929-1930
1930-1931Dewey Adams
1931-1932Maxine McClure$50.00
1932-1933Dorthy Arneson$50.00
1933-1934Veva Feis$35.00
1934-1935Marie James$45.00
1935-1936$45.00
1936-1937$45.00
1937-1938
1938-1939Verdell Noble

Closed School
Reopened in 1951

YearsTeacherSalary
1951-1952Bernice Marker
1952-1953Thelma Hasselbacher$225.00
1953-1954Mrs. Jean Gilbert – 5 mo
Mrs. Jolene Sanger – 4 mo
1954-1955Mrs. Joan DeBord$182.50
1955-1956Miss Jeanette Martin$172.50
1956-1957Mrs. Darline Pitney
1957-1958Mrs. Barbah Bright
1958-1959Mrs. Joy Pruner
1959-1960Mrs. Schmalle
1960-1961Mrs. Ruth Bridges
1961-1962Mrs. Ruth Bridges
1962-1963Mrs. Bernice Shackleton
1963-1964Mrs. Bernice Shackleton
1964-1965Mrs. Don Burge
1965-1966Mrs. Don Burge
1966-1967Mrs. Don Burge
1967-1968Mrs. Myrtis Alber
1968-1969Mrs. Myrtis Alber
Mrs. John Yost (last six weeks)

Download (PDF, 1.05MB)

New Virginia Church Insurance Certificate

This certificate is dated October 13, 1906 – some two months after the original structure burned down.

New Virginia Church Original Drawings

We found these original drawings of the New Virginia Church. These are obviously much different than the church that was constructed, but they are very neat documents nonetheless.

The CA & HA markings are presumably for Hot Air (supply) and Cold Air (return).